Tuesday, February 7, 2012

No Waste Flying Geese

 Jo at  Jo's Country Junction  is starting a new feature on Tuesday, Try it Tuesday.  She is encouraging you to try something new whether it be in sewing, a restaurant or a book.  I tried a new way to make flying geese this week.  I am making the Rolling Along quilt on Judy's Patchwork Times blog.  It calls for flying geese that are finished at 1 1/4 X 2 1/2 .  Judy did not give measurements, she just said use your favorite method.  My favorite method is using the Eleanor Burns rulers but there was not a ruler fitting these measurements.  So I went to my best friend... Google for help.  I found this site http://schools.utah.gov/cte/documents/facs/conference/S04/CT_FlyingGeese.pdf  and what I liked about her geese was the chart with the measurements but I also like the way she made the geese.  I had very little trimming to square up the geese.  I was very pleased.  Look at my block in my post yesterday, I used the flying geese there.  " Sew" long for now.

2 comments:

  1. Followed your link from Jo's Country Junction. I haven't tried the no waste flying geese yet. The Companion Angle and Easy Angle rulers have been working really well for me, so I'll probably stick with them for now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the link. I've done FG this way before and it works well. I have also done as Michelle with the CA and EA rulers. Plus a few other ways too. Have you tried the Bloc-Loc Rulers for FG? I've got the one for HSTs and love it. I'm thinking about picking up the one for FG and giving it a go with the units on Bonnie Hunter's latest mystery Orca Bay that I've yet to finish (on Part 7 close...). I'll be sure to use the FG Chart that can be found at the link. Sandi

    ReplyDelete